Monday, December 24, 2012

160 Cows...and Six Deer


A common question when you live on a farm, I've realized, is "Do you have any pets?" I'm not sure why this is, other than people associate "farm" with "animals". And in our case, yes, we have animals...but they are not pets.

I've also come to realize when my reply is "Yes. We have 160 cows" the responses do usually include a comment on the quantity as well as "Oh...a real farm." Yes. A real farm. This is the Farmer's job. He does it 365 days a year (unfortunately, for us, at times) and we have 160 cows.

And no pets.

Well...Sorta.

Because, well, I now amend my answer with "and six deer".



They live in our yard.

The Farmer buys them carrots and apples.

I leave them the outer leaves of the lettuce head.

And we've even enabled family members...I made my sister pick up a bag of apples on her way to the house Thanksgiving because I forgot them at the store.

The Farmer was worried they would be hungry.

He should have been worried that my family would traumatize the littlest one, as my nephews spent two days with their noses pressed up to the windows to watch her every move.

Stag and Spike showed up early on and they are fairly nocturnal (hence, no photos).

They brought their girlfriend Doe one day.



And she brought her friends...Re and Mi.

And then Gretl showed up.






While they are not Dasher and Dancer, Prancer and Vixen, Comet and Cupid, Donner and Blitzen,
we do have our own Stag and Spike, Doe, Re, Mi, and Gretl.

And yes,  I love the Sound of Music.

Much to The Farmer's chagrin.

Now The Farmer frequently comes in to request a knife and he goes running out of the house. (This might worry many of you, but I assure you he's just cutting up vegetables in the garage.) He'll head off to take a shower and come back only to stare out the front window.



Can you see her come running across the driveway (just before the tree)? 

I get texts with deer reports while I'm on the road.

I get texts while I'm home asking about them.

And yesterday I sent a text "Mama put down her foot. Gretl finally ate her vegetables."

Because like any good child, she'll leave the carrots to the very last, scrounging for every last bit of apple first.

So yes, I believe we do have pets.

We just don't let them in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment